Friday, February 17, 2012

It all started on top

Our New House

We decided to start with the roof due to a large leak into the kitchen and a bedroom.  The whole thing had to be replaced and we decided to do it ourselves. What were we thinking?!? We have a contractor friend who taught us what to do and helped us order supplies.  And we had family and friends who willingly risked thier lives helping us rip shingles off the roof during a thunderstorm.
   Honestly I think this was one of the most difficult projects we undertook, but we learned ALOT! I now consider myself to be a master roofer, I can roof with the best of them! It took us a whole week to finish of working everyday, and made me really grateful we have a fairly simple, not very steep roof!
       Lessons Learned
 1.  Order a giant dumpster before you start so that you can throw all the old shingles in directly            instead of spending the following 2 weeks picking them up and hauling them to the dumpster:)
 2.  Don't rent the nail guns until right before you need them, taking the old roof off might take longer than you think, so this could save you a hundred bucks.


This is the only picture I took of the whole roofing process
Now that we have mastered roofing,
next time I think we will hire someone else...

No comments: